Making basic sponge cake is actually a cake walk for me because I make it very often. But I had never tried the pastry. So, I promised that pretty little angel that her pineapple pastry will be ready by evening and I set to work quickly. I browsed through a lot of websites and was very confused since there were so many versions. I could sketch the recipe in my mind so I started going through the ingredients I needed. I had everything except canned Pineapple. The fresh cream I had bought the previous day was half used for the Malai Matar I prepared for dinner.
Being a health freak, weight conscious and beauty conscious, I eat Pineapple, Papaya and Guava almost everyday. Luckily, there was also a bottle of Pineapple squash we had bought at the start of the summer. So I thought of replacing canned pineapple pieces with the fresh ones and canned juice with water and squash.I got the batter ready and I check the oven if it is hot enough and guess what? The power is gone! the oven is not even warm. I was so engrossed in making batter that I completely forgot to check the oven.
There is no way I can keep the egg batter waiting for more than an hour. So, I made the cake in cooker and I could use my whisk attachment of my blender to whip the cream.The cake tasted best the next day and I am planning to make Black forest cake for our anniversary. If time permits, I will also take pictures to post.
Anyway, all of us loved the cake even though the sponge would have been much better if it was made in oven. It was way less heavy than the store bought ones and I was glad that my little niece M loved it.
|Nutritional Information (Approx) (per serving)|
|Powdered sugar||3/4 cup|
|Pineapple essence||1 teaspoon|
|Plain flour/Maida||1 cup|
|Baking powder||1 teaspoon|
|Canned pineapple pieces/fresh pineapple chopped||1 cup|
|Juice from the can of pineapple/ pineapple squash||1 cup|
|Whipping cream||1 cup|
|Icing sugar||1/4 cup|
|Chocolate shavings||1/2 cup|
Close the lid of the cooker and let it bake for about 30 minutes in medium high flame. After 30 minutes, simmer the flame and bake for another 5 minutes and remove from flame.
Cut the cake horizontally into 2 equal parts using a serrated knife. In a bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of squash (if using) with 2 parts chilled water.
* Make sure to bake the cake quickly after making the batter since the airiness will reduce if the batter is kept waiting.
* Making a detailed post of whipping the cream would have been made this a very lengthy post. so I have made it as short as I can. I will try and post it next time.
* You can add cherries for the filling as well as the decoration.
* Apologies for the clumsy pictures. I was in a hurry to finish this before our UPS switches off.
* This cake tastes best the next day with all the juice soaked up by the sponge. So, plan and make it the day before you are going to serve.