Fenugreek leaves are one of the tastiest herbs that is used as a vegetable in India. You can make numerous dishes out of these strong flavored leaves. These leaves have a unique bitter taste which is addictive and aromatic. The Fenugreek leaves and seeds are highly nutritious and power packed. They get absorbed by the body easily and are high in protein. I remember my father drinking water mixed with Fenugreek seeds powder for his diabetes. he also used to drink a smoothie made of Fenugreek leaves and bitter gourd which are excellent in reducing the blood sugar level.
I used to eat a lot of dishes made of Fenugreek leaves when I was on weight loss diet. They are rich in fiber and a compound that helps to control cholesterol. Also, When I was in college, my friends had told me that swallowing a spoonful of Fenugreek seeds in empty stomach in the morning, your skin will be pimple free. :D I also used to soak the seeds overnight, grind them to a smooth paste in the morning and apply on my acne and blemishes. The acne would usually heal off in 2 days and believe me, it gives great glow to the skin.
This is my mamma's recipe and she used to make it for our lunch boxes. This rice tastes delicious even when it is not hot and when we opened our lunch boxes, the aroma used to make us more hungry. Now, Naveen loves it so much that this is the only thing he wants to eat made of Fenugreek leaves. The recipe is simple and very easy, you can make it within 10 minutes. Here is the recipe straight from my mum's kitchen. Hope you like it :)
|Nutritional Information (Approx) (per serving)|
|Cooked rice (any)||2 cups|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Green chillies slit||2|
|Fenugreek leaves chopped||1 cup|
|Tomato puree/Tomato chopped||1 tablespoon|
|Sambar powder||1 tablespoon|
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Wait till they start to splutter. Add chopped onion and slit green chillies. Fry till onion looks translucent.
- Add chopped Fenugreek leaves and fry till the amazing aroma starts filling up.
- Add tomato Puree/chopped tomatoes, salt and Sambar powder.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix. Simmer the flame and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and give it a good mix.
- Cook under low flame for 2 more minutes and serve hot with or without Raita.
- There are many variations of recipes for this dish one of which is adding the spices to melted ghee and prepared like Pulao. This recipe is quick, simple but as tasty as any other versions of this dish.